NUTRITIONAL PROFILE AND MEDICINAL BENEFITS
These are some of the general health benefits of millets when consumed everyday
- Millets are rich in protein, fibre, calcium, iron and minerals especially magnesium, copper and phosphorous.
- Gluten free and helps to reduce cholesterol, lowers blood pressure and lowers the risk of Type 2 diabetes especially for women.
- It helps in the development and repair of body cells and tissues.
- It is a great food for people looking for weight loss, diabetic and cardiac patients.
- Its high insoluble fiber helps to prevent gallstones formation.
- Pre-menopausal women eating millets have a reduced breast cancer risk.
- Are highly nutritious, non-glutinous, non-acid forming foods thus easy to digest.
- Being gluten free, these are least allergenic and hence well suited for those suffering from celiac disease.
Nutrient Content of Various Millets with Comparison to Rice and Wheat
|Crop / Nutrient||Protein (g)||Fiber (g)||Minerals (g)||Iron (mg)||Calcium(mg)|
- Millets are alkaline, easily digestible.
- Contains phytonutrient lignans which are converted by friendly flora in our intestine into mammalian lignans, that protect against breast and other hormone dependent cancers as well as heart disease.
- Magnesium in millet helps reduce the effects of migraines and heart attacks. Also reduces the instances of childhood asthma.
- Niacin (vitamin B3) in millet helps lower cholesterol.
- Decreases triglycerides and C-reactive protein
- Phosphorus in millets is critical in forming the mineral matrix of the bone, building block of the genetic code, and an essential component of lipid containing structure such as cell membranes and nervous system structures.
Nutritional Food during Pregnancy and for Babies
- Millets are ideal for pregnant mothers since several millets are a rich source of iron and calcium.
- Millets substitutes the other grains for mothers having gestational diabetes.
- Also help in building immunity for the baby growing in the womb.
- Babies can be fed popped or malted millet powder which has been traditionally given for the children in different forms of millets from 6 months.
- Millets have the properties which protects heart.
- Play role in Development and Repair of body tissue
- Millets substantially Lower Type II Diabetes Risk.